Field Crew (Farm)
The Field Crew position works to ensure that all tasks get accomplished outside of cultivation and plant trimming, so that farm can run smoothly. This position is extremely important to the planting process and requires adaptability, flexibility, and an ability/willingness to work outside, in all climates. This position reports to the Farm General Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plant, spray, weed, fertilize, and water plants using hand tools and other farming equipment.
- Apply chemical solutions to protect against disease or insects.
- Harvest plants, and transplant or pot and label them.
- Clean work areas, and maintain grounds and landscaping.
- Sow grass seed, or plant plugs of grass.
- Regulate outdoor irrigation systems.
- Maintain and repair irrigation and climate control systems.
- Dig, cut, and transplant seedlings and cuttings.
- Dig, rake, and screen soil, filling cold frames and hot beds in preparation for planting.
- Ensure weed and pest mitigation, as necessary.
- Move containerized plants using wheelbarrows or tractors.
- Haul and spread topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, and other materials to condition soil, using wheelbarrows or carts and shovels.
- Operate tractors and other machinery and equipment to fertilize, cultivate, harvest, and spray fields and plants.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure farm runs smoothly.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, Knowledge, & Skills)
- Must have or be able to obtain a MED Badge (condition of employment for all Maggie’s Farm employees)
- Able to work outdoors, exposed to weather; including very hot or cold temperatures
- Able to operate farm equipment, as needed
- Able to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Able to use abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without ‘giving out’ or fatiguing.
- Able to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Able to exert yourself physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath.
- Able to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Able to read and/or listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and writing.
- Able to communicate information and ideas in speaking and/or in writing so others will understand.